The Referral Process
Make-A-Wish Foundation accepts referrals from the following sources:
- the child
- parent or guardian
- a member of the medical community (physician, social worker, child life specialist, etc.)
In order to respect the privacy of children and families, anyone who is not included in the above categories who calls our offices to refer a child will be asked to contact the family or physician to suggest a Make-A-Wish referral. We strive always to protect the dignity and privacy of the children and families we serve.
To Refer an Eligible Child
If you are an eligible child, parent or guardian of an eligible child, or a medical professional who would like to refer a child, you can reach us in the following ways:
- Submit our on-line referral form
- Telephone our office (858) 707-9474
- If you would like to refer a child who lives outside our geographic area, please contact our National offices at www.wish.org to find the appropriate local Make-A-Wish Chapter.
Make-A-Wish Foundation keeps all wish referral information strictly confidential. We do not actively solicit wishes.
Eligibility for a wish is determined on the basis of the following criteria:
- Age: At the time of referral, a child must be between the ages of 2-1/2 and 18. (Referral must be made before the child’s 18th birthday).
- Medical Criteria: Any child diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition may be eligible for a wish. The child’s treating physician makes the determination of whether the child is medically eligible and whether he or she is medically able to participate in the wish requested.
- Wish History: Children who have had wishes granted by Make-A-Wish Foundation or by other wish-granting organizations are not eligible for a second wish experience.
- Geographic Eligibility: The San Diego chapter of Make-A-Wish Foundation accepts referrals of all children residing within San Diego and Imperial Counties.
It is the mission and goal of Make-A-Wish Foundation to serve every eligible child in our area